Sunday 22 March 2009

A "Surprise" on Sunday


















The “surprise” came at 0813 while I was propped up in bed, cajoling the internet to talk to me. “Oh!”, I said feigning an appropriate “surprise” and took the bouquet of flowers and cards and the hugs and kisses. My bedmate, still in deep slumber, stirred and turned to face the wall, perhaps dreaming about the adventures of his alter ego, Mat Sprong.


It is Mothering Sunday in the UK, thus the flowers and the cards and the hugs and kisses. And, of course a date for dinner on Tuesday.


As I gave the crystal vase a rinse, leaving the other half to help solve mysteries plaguing the best detective agency in Trengganu, I thought back to the days before their arrival. I had wanted ten but was blessed with seven; three didn’t quite make it. It was one miscarriage after another. Even our first just about made it after strict orders from the doctor to rest in bed.


The flowers now sit nicely and sort of blend quite well with the vase; the only vase I can safely say I own. And even then it was a present for emceeing an event. The flowers, like the vase, are delicate and precious; to be handled with care. A few petals inevitably dropped to the floor.


The children, who came in quick succession; one after another, came without any instructions or An Idiot’s Guide to Parenting: Especially Without Support of The Extended Family. So, we did it through trial and error and learn along the way. We are still learning; from the time we heard their first wail in the labour ward to the constant desperate calls of “Where are you and come back right now!”


Mothering can be a headache, a constant worry, and it can be rewarding. Even without the flowers in the morning such as this, the very mention of the word Mama, early in the morning, late at night or anytime at all, is very sweet to the ears.


The vase with the flowers whose names I am just too lazy to google, sits on the window sill where Snowbell had claimed squatter’s rights. I slipped back under the duvet to enjoy the rest of Mothering Sunday, taking comfort in sound of the soft snore coming from the other side of the bed. Presumably, Mat Sprong is about to close his case.


32 comments:

ray said...

Komen Pak Malim, kucing ray yg alim.

Cantiknya bunga dan vase tu, kata Pak Malim sambil menggaru kutu. Nak pinjam vase, boleh? kata Pak Malim sambil memegang koleh.

Kak Teh said...

Pak Malim, nak pinjam vase boleh, tapi kak teh nak letak bunga dalam apa, tanya kak teh sambil duduk bertapa. Pak Malim pergi lah cari sendiri atau masukkan bunga dalam tin sardin, kata kak teh sambil panggil budak nama Budin.

Naz in Norway said...

Gratulerer med dagen, Kak Teh!
Very nice flower (and vase too!).
Ish! masih tak settle lagi ke the connection problem tu? I, for one, cannot imagine what life would be here without internet connection. Teruk kan?!!
Have a nice day and let THEM spoil you rotten :)

kay_leeda said...

It's really sweet, isn't it when they were young, to have the little ones calling out "Mama..mama.." And now when we see them all grown up, you kinda miss those diaper and milky burp days kan :)

Enjoy yr Sunday Kak Teh and have a beautiful Mothering day :)

Pak Zawi said...

Kak Teh,
You already have seven of them? When we met in KL I thought you have about 4 at the most. That is how young you look.

Kak Elle said...

lucky mom you are kak teh...cantik bunga2 tu:)

Kak Teh said...

Naz, same to you...re: connection tu - dok kena pedo! Yes, kalau tak dak macam ada withdrawal symptoms.

Kay, i love looking at theor pix when they were small. How we used to dote on them. La ni depa pulak quite concern where we go and what time we come back.

Kak Teh said...

Zawi, I think you tak baca satu part i said I lost three. Had three miscarriages. Tak dak rezki and also it is one way of the body telling me I dont think I could cope.see you in London soon.


Kak elle - thanks.

SkyJuice said...

Salam Kak Teh,

Wishing you a wonderful Mothering Sunday! Lovely flowers, by the way. :-)

A.

Kak Teh said...

SkyJuice, Thank you!!!!

ilene said...

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY KAK TEH! It sure comes early in UK! :)

sherry said...

Salam Kak teh.

So sweet...

Kak Teh said...

Ilene, yes, it is indeed much earlier here. Malaysia and USA celebrate same day and month - may 10th this year, i think.

Sherry, terima kasih.

Alinlai said...

selamat hari Ibu versi UK kak teh, untuk saya juga le... ke ke ke

Tunku Halim said...

I suppose Mothering Sunday is the same as Mother's Day? Is Father's Day the same as Fathering Friday Night at the Pub then? :)

NanaDJ said...

Happy Mothering Sunday (although its Monday today). Lovely flowers and lovely curtain, remind me of my house in Birmingham way back yon.
Like you, I have been literally screaming on the phone "where are you? Balik now!!!" umpteen times from wherever I was at that time. Thank Allah, its over for now till the cucu reach THAT age.
Salam to you both.

Madam Tai Tai Again said...

Happy Mothering Day, Kak Teh! The flowers sure look pretty, just like the recipient. :-)

_deli said...

Salam KT,
Though a father, can't help but mothering my kids often than never sampai Ayu naik marah pulak; "...manjakan sangat anak tu!"
Yalah, masa masih mennizinkan, ya tak KT? "Esok jangan sampai terkilan..." is my reply.
We had 50% survival rate. Lost 1 of our first (twins) and then two miscarriages, one being three weeks ago.
Seronokkan kena pampered dengan anak-anak? As for me, kena gomol and kisses from them is heaven.
Hope your Sunday was great!

Mama Rock said...

kak teh...opps, mak teh, happy mother's day :)

Unknown said...

Hi Kak Teh

I would die without internet connection...perhaps it is the dns problem?

Anyway, lovely flowers you got there....

I think motherhood is one of the most beautiful things in life. You are lucky to have so many...I only have two andlive to regret it till this day.

Happy Mother's Day and may you live to see your grandchildren and great-grandchildren and may your whole family be belssed now and always.

Take care, Kak Teh...

Salam

Kak Teh said...

Alinlai, lamanya tak jenguk ke sini. Terima kasih - nanti bila ada versi malaysia datang lagi, ya?

Tunku, hahaha, Fathering day if I am not mistaken is 9 months before mothering Sunday.

Kak Teh said...

NanaDJ, the children cringe when they hear my ringtone calling them when they are enjoying themselves with friends. They say their friends' mothers never called them...so, what does that make me? Baik laa kan? hehe.

MTT, thank you for kind words...the flowers are still fresh - unlike me...wilting.

Kak Teh said...

deli, am so sorry to hear abt the loss. Memang tak ada rezki dan Tuhan menentukan. Yes, we have to enjoy them while we can. Masa kecik2 tu best...dah besar seronok pulak sebab macam kawan.

Mama Rock, tak pa, tak pa...mak teh ke, tok teh ke.... Kalau you, Tok Rock lah ya? hahaha, jangan marah, ya?

Kak Teh said...

paula, thank you for kind words and yes, what was life like before the internet? Just a glitch and we panic!

tireless mom said...

Hi Kak Teh

Happy belated Mothering Sunday. Sounds like a beautiful one, with beautiful flowers you can gaze at. I don't have internet connection problem, problem nya I cannot stay connected. Frust betul.

D said...

happy mother's day, kak teh (belated noooo... even though we share the same time zone!). I had a message to text to you but my girlfriends just didn't let me spend time on my phone yesterday! ;)

Anonymous said...

Haii, lama betui tak mai sini - and what a facelift the chocabloc blog's had! Ahh, Mothering Sunday comes a few days before another big day ehhhhh? ;)

Hope you and family are all well, KT. Met up with Jane recently for lunch, and will probably have many more such meets over time - all we talk about now are our babies, hahaha.

Much love,
-b-

Kak Teh said...

TM, thanks - the children cannot afford to splash too much as there's still my birthday coming quite soon! So a double celebration lah.

D, sounds like you had fun too. and a belated wish to you too. Tak pa ..hantar saja message di angin lalu, kak teh akan terima

Kak Teh said...

Blabs!!!!!!! hello stranger!!welcome back and i am glad you still know the way back to my blog. I have long forgiven you and jane for not visiting as you have small babies and juggling with work. I dont really envy that. And next time you have lunch with Jane, go and have kari ketam at Lotus for me. simply delicious.

Ms B said...

kt,

hope it's not too late to wish you happy mom's day. wanted to post wht the lil one made for me but barely hv time over the wkend.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to be a day too late. Happy Mothering Sunday.

Fairwind said...

enjoy the day kak teh..sori keretapi i lambat lah ;)

-Lyana Mauseth-