Friday 23 December 2011

Musings of a Muruku Marauder

Knightsbridge was bathed in Christmas lights, courtesy of Harrods – the corner shop for the rich and famous. I was momentarily blinded by the glitters and mesmerised by the window display.

They certainly have style – Harrods. Christmas shoppers were leaving in droves clutching their famous green carrier bags, while others rushed in in search of last minute Christmas bargains. I was not the least tempted. I have better things in mind - a mission almost impossible. I braved the cold and the crowd, all the while the sound of jingle bells and Christmas carol drifting from the solo steel band drummer at the top of Knightsbridge station.

The night was still young but I felt old. I was a young bride when I first walked on the streets of London, shivering under my paper thin kebaya.
Now, I am much older and wiser – I wore my new coat bought at a 50 percent discount from Debenhams.

My mission didn’t take too long and soon I was also clutching that green Harrods carrier bag, boarding the C1 homeward bound. I was happy to get a window seat and oblivious to everyone around me, I started to dip my hand into the bag and tore open one packet. I was consumed with guilt but with every munch and crunch I felt good. The Harrods carrier bag was full of the scrumptious muruku courtesy of my buddies and accomplice back home.

I didn’t know when it happened, but I remember Kay bringing me a packet when I was back home. A packet wasn’t enough…and like an addict I went round looking for more but nothing was as good.

Some friends who came to London brought me more…but the crunching and munching was no music to some other ears…and with the best of intentions, my muruku supplies began disappearing. I coaxed and cajoled but to no avail. But yesterday, without even looking I found them.

Kak Nasirah Aris and Kay through PS Fadzillah brought me more supplies – thus my trip to Knightsbridge. As I walked to the front door, I perspired in the cold winter air and  wiping off crumbs from my mouth I walked in.

Dipping into the bag, I offered him the acar ikan masin. This is from Kak Nasirah to you, I said sweetly. And dipping further into the big bag, I said,” and Kak Nasirah bought me these books,” referring to Malaysian Tales etc.

“….and er…of course some muruku that I will share during the tazkeerah session!”

Phew! Suffice to say, I am still in one piece. After 32 years together, he knows how to deal with my obsession;  Alleycats, Ferrero Rocher, Cocoa Dusted Almond Chocolates and Chocolate Truffle Cake.These obsessions soon disappeared.

This will soon go too – but in the meantime, thank you comrades!!!
Kak Teh's other harmless obsessions:http:

Obsessions
As I was Munching Muruku

18 comments:

Wan Nordin Wan Hussin said...

The Jalan Bukit Bintang is similarly bathed in Christmas lights, courtesy of Pavillion – where once stood Convent Bukit Bintang. We walked the entire length of that glittering thoroughfare from Hadramaut to Federal Hotel tonight, and we were bombarded with not just jingle bells jingle bells but also hard rock from Ramli Sarip and the likes. And the cool air is impregnated with the whiff of sweet fragrance from the ubiquitous sheesha joints. Made a dash to Debenhams ten minutes before closing. Although the mega sale will start tomorrow, but when we paid for our purchases, to our pleasant surprise, the Jasper Conrans and Rocha John Rocha were already heavily discounted. Have a great Xmas and New Year vacation Kak Teh and family.

Kak Teh said...

A similar experience, no doubt. But i bet its warmer, and you dont need thick jackets and scarves and gloves - so cumbersome. Have a good break and a happy 2012 and beyond, GUiKP! Salam to the family.

Wan Sharif said...

We say "sambil menyelam minu air".. Omputih say "kill two bird with one stone?".. Ah.. to enjoy some muruku during the tazkeerah session ;)

Kak Teh said...

En Wan Shariff, the murukus are going very fast - there are some good movies on telly over this holiday period and muruku goes very well with hot coffee and a good movie. and then i hope I will be off muruku for a bit.

Anonymous said...

I guess muruku is to you what pork scratchings is to me. *lol* Yup! I have a standing order for a box of the BlackCountry 80g Big bags to be sent to me on a regular basis.

Kak Teh said...

Cara, I hate to ask what scratchings is...but I guess it must be yummy! I've gone through four packets of muruku in record time and now - I will give the jaw a rest!

hoqni said...

Kak Teh, Muruku is nice. One day, at the overhead bridge from Berjaya Times Square to Berjaya Tower, I made my own concoction of 1kg muruku and friends. So much so, my staff now gets me muruku to get on my muruku side!

Kak Teh said...

MD, thanks for dropping buy. Yes, it doesnt take a lot to please people. For me, muruku and jam tarts would suffice.

Justiffa said...

Ooooooh KT, i have soooo much to catch up huhu.. been so bz err running (actually my brain also sorta dried up and havent been blogging for awhile) i just didnt stay long enuf to log in. miss my blogging buddies, u specially..u helped me take the baby steps ;-))

Hope 2012 has been fine so far :)

Kak Teh said...

Justiffa, i dont know when i will come backk to blogging - i certainly miss it..but too much to do , tak ada ideas, ta ada ilham...sigh!

ubat gemuk said...

lol i love muruku too :)

wonda4 said...

I am surprised that passengers are allowed to eat on the train. Your munching will cause everyone to stare and even chide you in Japan. Btw, I regretted not bringing back more muruku. I bought a packet or two from the supermarket to give it to my friends but my sister gave me a packet of home-made muruku given by her friend. How I miss eating them! Wish I could stuff in more goodies from Malaysia but my luggage was already over 60kg (63.9 kg reduced to 62.3kg) and I had to pay rm100 to upsize the luggage weight. You're lucky to have Malaysian friends to feed your stomach with stuff from home.
(Alice)
P.S It's difficult to figure out the characters for comment moderation and I have to change and type them many times!

Kak Teh said...

Alice, as I type this, I got a message that some more friends have brought some MORE muruku for me!! hehe!! I think i will have muruku coming out of my ears soon.

Unknown said...

i love muruku too ... sanggup ajak asben gi cari kat jalan brickfields sebab nmpk kwn ngukngap muruku..

Kak Teh said...

izan, my husband pulak akan curi dan sembunyi my muruku sbb makan terlalu banyak.

ninotaziz said...

Images of the thin kebaya and maruku coming out of ears are stuck in my mind now. Just felt like visiting for your name came up in passing during conversations recently.

Salam Kak Teh!

Kak Teh said...

Ninotaziz thanks for the visit. I wonder in what context was my name mentioned? muruku? :)

shamnashriq said...

Salam Kak Teh,

We never stop talking about you ever since our arrival back home KL. It was such a fruitful and inspiring meeting in London with you. :)

On behalf of my other 2 partners, I would like to wish you and family Salam Maal Hijrah. We would love to meet you again either in KL or London.

Let us know if you are in town!

Shamsul Nashriq on behalf of Fariz Hanapiah and Idril Mihat (Motiofixo)