Friday 28 October 2005

The list

If, like me, you are planning to travel, please go to Mr Hobo. The tips he gives, from things to pack to travelling companions and holiday romances are not just informative but also a wonderful read. So, these last few days I have been visiting Mr Hobo, before I do my own packing.

Well, I have sort of thrown all sorts of things into the bag and I know there will be packing and repacking to do. I have ironed most things and by most things I mean tudungs that I bought during the last few visits but never wore them because I stick to the old comfortable safe colours that I have, a few kebayas and baju johore that have never been worn, for the same reason, and I think rather than clutter my cupboard, someone out there can make good use of them.

But, seriously, there are several things that’s a must to bring home:

1. fridge magnets – these are so, so popular. There are new ones with paddington bear leaning on the london phone booth, the london eye, the front of the black cab – all quite nice and light to carry. And of course, everytime the recipients go to their fridge, they will be reminded of me, kan?
2. scarves from Tie Rack, must be careful to choose only those with flowers and simple patterns, and tak licin.
3. chocolates and more chocolates from Woolworth and some yummy ones from Marks & Sparks.
4. shortbread from the shop at Heathrow. Now this is seriously NOT a place to do last minute shopping. Things that you think you don’t need, you will always end up buying here – at double the cost! And I am always doing this.
5. And whatever I buy, I must be very,very careful that these are products with lables that says “Made in England”. Hmmmmmmmm!

There’s a big possibility that I might end up wearing my yesteryear’s baju kurung for raya as I have timed my homecoming a little bit too late, unless of course I make a beeline from KLIA to the nearest shopping centre on arrival. Otherwise, Mak’s baju Kedah will do just fine.

Sharing clothes with siblings is a culture in our household. The minute my luggage hits the floor, the rummaging starts. Everything will be booked in advance. I will have my opportunity times four as I go through their wardrobes and pick and choose what I want. It is not unusual for me to offload the contents of my handbag into a carrier bag at the airport as a barter trade for perhaps a favourite tudung, a new kebaya or anything at all.
It is almost a ritual.

Things I must NEVER forget
:
1. camera, video camera – I never travel without these and the filming or the snapping of pictures will begin at Heathrow – the goodbyes, the tears, the hugs and then again on arrival. Most of my trips home can be made into a home movie – if I have the time to edit lah! and then bore my visitors to death.
2. chargers!!!! very, very important – especially for my handphone. Aaaah, this reminds me. The last trip home, we were all at my mother's house in Alor Star. Every available point was used to recharge handphones in all manner of shapes and sizes! And when the phones rang – the house was like a music box with all manner of tunes and ringtones.
3. my own recharger – gyngko, vitamin C, evening primrose oil, and many more if AG has his ways.
4. recent pictures of the children- aaaaaah! I’d show everyone and anyone their pictures and look and look at them and this time is going to be especially sad – I wont get to see them dressed in their Hari raya finest!
5. books to read during the flight. I have yet to finish Small Island but I am sure that I will not be able to resist another book or magazine at WH Smith at Heathrow.
6. A bottle of Evian – a big bottle
7. sweets to chew especially while taking off and landing. I tend to get headsplitting headaches during these times.

What I want to include in the suitcase but I cant:
My AG – I will miss him, and we’ve had only a few days together since he came back. But such is life – we cant have everything – we choose to be the way we are – my absence means he is able to cover for me and in his absence I look after the shop.
The sayang mamas – its been a long time since we had a family holiday. One day, one day my sayang mama we will go back to Malaysia together.
The other sayang mamas – Jasper, Kissinger, Moaner, Snowbell, Gizmo and Tabby. Their presence in our lives has meant that we are quite reluctant to go away and leave them. They are so much a part of our life.

And you know what? When my tears are dry, I usually look forward to the meals served on board. I know I am strange – but its...er different. And yes, those inflight entertainments too.

Well, during the last two flights home, I was given quite a pleasant surprise. I was woken up after the meal by a flight attendant who said : Puan, why didnt you tell us you are on board? The captain wants you upgraded.”

I rubbed my eyes and thought I was dreaming. What? Me, in business class? But they assured me that they have got the right name and that they’d be thrown off the plane if they couldnt get me up there. So, who was I to complain, eh?






45 comments:

Honeytar said...

Kak Teh! Best nya Kak Teh! yes you deserve to be treated like a queen ;-) Hope that we get to see you ya? We'll do a Mak Bloggers Tea pulak. KLCC? ;-)

Bergen said...

Welcome home, ma'am.

Selamat hari raya to you and your family. Have a good one.

iJun said...

Kak Teh nak ikotttttttttttttttttttttttttt!!

MA said...

My sister pun was upgraded from kelas kambing to first class when she heard the name of the pilot macam familiar ajer. It turned out to be our cousin who were the Captain.

Have a safe flight :-)

Kak Teh said...

honeytar - KLCC? Boleh! senang cari
bergen - thanks -a nd you too - have a good time.
ijun - meh - masuk bag!
MA - hehe - kak teh pun tak kenal sapa captain tu! but i think they just want to move people around.

Ordinary Superhero said...

Kak Teh, kat KLIA ada banyak booths bazaar style selling baju raya at surprisingly reasonable price. I just bought mine on my way back to KB the other day.

Unknown said...

kak teh,

buy a bigger bag, so that you can put in AG and your sayang mamas.. ;)

Selamat hari Raya.. and don't forget the Pak Ciks if the Mak Ciks are meeting up this Raya. :)

Have a safe journey home..

anedra said...

kesian AG and the sayang mamas kena tinggal! anyway, sempat lagi apa nak shopping? you'd better cos Tok's baju kedah won't fit! hahaha!

anyways, seee ya soooooooooooon!

shidah said...

kak teh, syioknya nak travel! balik kampung lagi.... i second klcc kak teh, nak pi jugak :)

Anonymous said...

Selamat Hari Raya

Maaf Dzahir Bathin


:) kakngah

KC said...

Kak Teh,

Selamat Hari Raya. Enjoy your trip home & welcome home!

Queen Of The House said...

Kak Teh boleh shopping kat Alor Setar apa! STAR PARADE ada banyaaaaaak baju. Nanti kot terjumpa I (and my girls)dok potong rambut pulak di sana.
Have a safe trip!!!

miniME said...

waaahh...kak teh...jelesnye...nak ikut jugak...minime kecik je boleh masuk luggage..heheh..I miss home!! uwaaaa!! Hope you'll have a splendid Hari Raya ^_^

Anonymous said...

lots of baju raya at KL sentral too, just take ERL to kl sentral...eid mubarak

Nadia said...

Eid mubarak kak teh maaf zahir batin....

AuntyN said...

Kak Teh I hope I still can catch u here. Another thing NOT to forget is to go to the counter ASAP when u arrived at KLIA OK, Have a safe flight to Malaysia. Pray you get upgraded again!! Next time I travel please let me know the name of the captain, I'll tell him Kak Teh Kirim salam, kut kut dapat upgrade hehehe

may said...

kak teh, ur post is now my checklist to london, hehe! if only I'd get an upgrade on my flight as well...

Mutiara said...

Selamat hari raya Kak Teh. Selamat berangkat dan selamat berangkat kembali. Bila makan sedap-sedap tu ingatlah sikit org yg di rantauan nih.

Anonymous said...

Salams Kak Teh,

Selamat Hari Raya and have a safe and pleasant journey. Have a wonderful Eid Mubarak!

ubisetela said...

Have a safe journey kakTeh & Selamat Hari Raya.

Ely said...

Selamat Hari Raya kak teh...maaf zahir batin!

have a safe trip home and back.

Nazrah Leopolis said...

oh malam ni kakteh belayar la kan?

have a safe trip. ada umur ada rezeki kita ronggeng okey? jaipong pun boleh.

dith said...

I am waiting for the day that I would be recognized and upgraded to Business Class without asking to! :)

Everyone at home must be very2 eager to see you eh?

All the best!

Anonymous said...

Kak Teh dear,

Have a pleasant and safe journey home!! Hope to meet up with you soon!! Have fun and take care!! ;)
Selamat Hari Raya Maaf & Zahir and Batin!!

I can hear those raya songs ringing in my ears already!!

atenah said...

waaaa, nak balik kampung tooooooo

Lydia Teh said...

Wah, bestnya. Upgraded without asking for it. You make us all so jeles oredi.

SimplyMas said...

Kak Teh! The next time you're going back to Malaysia, please don't forget to take me with you?! I will be Puan Assistant! Okay kan? Enjoy yourself when you get there! My turn next year pulak!

Selamat Hari Raya! :D

Ruby M. said...

dapat upgrage!!!! jelesssssss.....!!!
kak teh, selamat hari raya maaf zahir batin k.will miss you so much. hope that you will have a memorable raya this year and always. take care, remember, ikan bilis is OK, jangan buang kat airport! muahaha

Arena said...

Safe Journey Kak Teh, Selamat Hari Raya ya..

Anonymous said...

Selamat Menyambut AidilFitri Kak Teh..Minal Aidil Wal Faizin. Pray you will have a safe and smooth journey home!hugz

Anonymous said...

best nya ke upgraded...

selamat hari raya kak teh..
maaf kalau terkasar bahasa..

OOD said...

upgraded? Waaaaa..
really kakteh, WHO ARE YOU?

psst, spread a little glitter on me okay? I could use a bit of upgrading too. I have always been Previous Obsolete Version.

Sirih, selamat pulang ke gagang!

kaezrin said...

welcome back kak teh..hope u loves ur cakes and been dying to meet u up.......

Dian said...

Selamat Hari Raya Kak Teh, and enjoy your flight! Naik MAS ke? The best bit is when you land at KLIA, and the captain says 'Kepada anak-anak Malaysia, selamat pulang ke tanahair.'

mommy@lif said...

salam aidilfitri, maaf zahir batin.. kak teh, if u met fellow bloggers kat klcc jgn lupa jemput saya... maybe boleh join!

Kirra Khairuddin said...

Kak Teh...selamat hari raya....semoga sentiasa dibawah perlindungan Allah....di mana saja berada!

Mdm Noris said...

Selamat pulang ke kampung halaman..

Salam lebaran Kak Teh. Maaf Zahir Batin

Enjoy the holidays...

lacrema said...

Hello Kak teh,

Can we meet after Raya some time before you head off to London again? My number is 016-3841832. Rindu pulak lepak ngan Kak teh. Like the good old uni days.

Fazil

Blur Queen aka BQ said...

Selamat Hari Raya Kak Teh! Hope you have a safe journey. :)

Atok said...

jangang makang banyok sangak, nati tokleh bangung....

selamak aghi ghayo.

Justiffa said...

KT - Selamat Menyambut Eidil Fitri & WELCOME HOME :)

5xmom.com said...

Ada dodol lagi tak? I had been Raya blog visiting, from blog to blog. Hahaha. Terlambat tiga hari ni.

SELAMAT HARI RAYA, maaf zahir dan batin to Kak Teh dan sekeluarga. Moga-moga, on return flight terus upgrade to first class ya?

Lollies said...

betul-betul the fridge magnet tu senang diberi dan disukai ramai.

welcome home kak teh

Unknown said...

hi mak cik kak teh,how are you. i hope u fine.. i thing your blog is better than all blogs that i saw.. hehe.. just want to says selamat arie rayer eyedilfit3.... byeeee....

Anonymous said...

Selamat Hari Raya....Sorry lambat..Ter takbayar bil Streamyx...