Saturday 12 September 2009

Meme: Save Yvonne's Sight

Sharon Bakar has tagged me for the Save Yvonne's Sight Meme.















Yvonne Foong, 22, has neurofibromatosis type II, which has severely affected her sight and hearing due to tumours in the brain and spine. She is scheduled for an operation between 1 and 4 December 2009. The cost of surgery is USD44,000 or RM154,770, and the cost of staying in hospital for two weeks is USD915 or RM3219.

She has raised about RM10,000 of this and is hoping to raise the rest by republishing her book I'm Not Sick; I'm Just a Bit Unwell in English and Chinese. The books are now available in Malaysian bookshops and from her web site store. She is also selling T-shirts at bazaars and via her web site store. You can read about her surgery and donate to her fund here.

You can also help by sending on this meme. If you do, please follow these meme rules:
1. Create a blog entry titled "Meme: Save Yvonne's Sight"
2. List three things you love to see. Add in the picture of Yvonne's book cover. The URL is http://www.yvonnefoong.com/images/banner/my-story.jpg
3. End with the line, "Yvonne Foong is in danger of losing her eyesight thanks to neurofibromatosis (NF). Please find out how you can help her by visiting her blog at http://www.yvonnefoong.com.
4. Tag 5 blog friends. Be sure to copy the rules, OK?
5. If you have a Facebook account, please check out Ellen's new invention, a "feme" pronounced FEEM, a meme designed for Facebook here. And if you want to blog about NF, that would be great too!
Three things I love to see :
1. My mother's smile of recognition
2. Falling autumn leaves
3. The first bloom in spring
Bloggers I'm tagging are:
Masterwordsmith
Andrea Whatever
Zendra
Mamasita
Kenny Mah

In fact if anyone else out there would like to meme or feme this - please feel free.
LET'S DO WHATEVER WE CAN TO HELP YVONNE.

20 comments:

Unknown said...

Dear Kak Teh,

Since you have put it today, I have scheduled mine for tomorrow. Take care and thanks for being a caring friend.

Salam.

Pi Bani said...

Been following her blog for quite some time since her story was highlighted in Kak Marina's blog. Already have her blog link on my blogroll.

Am pretty amazed by her determination!

Kak Teh said...

Thanks Paula, we do what little we can.

Pi Bani, yes, she is indeed strong. She needs to be.

Kenny Mah said...

Thanks for the tag, Kak Teh. I rarely do memes but as this is for a truly worthy cause, count me in. Not sure when I'll have it up but soon lah.

*hugs to Yvonne*

Kak Teh said...

Thank Kenny dear. I know I can count on you too. I have a friend coming to London and will definitely ask her to get Yvonne's book for me.

Kenny Mah said...

Hi dear, I've just posted and tagged five more fellow bloggers on my website here.

Have a good weekend and selamat berpuasa to you and your family.

Kak Teh said...

Kenny, thanks and take care.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kak Teh,
Will put it up as a blog post mid-week so as not to clash with MWS's. Have not had the time to check out Yvonne's blog but will do so tomorrow. Thanks.

Kak Teh said...

Thanks so much Andrea! Appreciate it.

Kama At-Tarawis said...

Pardon me Kak Teh; what's a meme and a feme?

Kak Teh said...

my dear puteri, I asked the same question some years ago when I was meme'd. It usually starts with one blogger asking/blogging about some issues and then tag a number of other bloggers to do the same. Theymust follow the same rules and tag other bloggers.

Kak Teh said...

oh, feme is the Face Book version.

Zendra-Maria said...

Kak Teh,

This is for a good cause. Insya Allah I'll work on it. I really marvel at people who do not let their sickness overcome them.

Kak Teh said...

Thanks zendra. We have to be thankful for the good health that we have and do our bit for those less fortunate, kan? Thanks once again.

mamasita said...

Dear Kak Teh.
Thanks for including me in.I have not done exactly as required(i.e. a full blog entry about her plight) but I hope its still okay.

Thank you and Selamat Hari Raya to you and your loved ones.

kay_leeda said...

Kak Teh,

I've been tagged by Mamasita. Yes, I will do it soon. Allow me a little while to nurse this sad & lost feeling. When I feel better, I'll get down with it yah.

Kak Teh said...

Mamasita, that is fine. I saw it. Thank you.

Kay, thank you and I share your loss. Am sure Bibik will be in touch.

tireless mom said...

Dear Kak Teh

Sad sad... praying and hoping for the best for Yvonne.

bibliobibuli said...

thanks so much!!!

mariahsj said...

Salam kak Teh.
I've read her book. It is nice of you to remind us about her sickness.
I will tag all my friends. Thank you kak Teh and take care.